Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Dear John; Emotions Overload !!

I finally watched 'Dear John' last night.....







I had been anticipating this movie since last year, not only because it had Channing Tatum starring as Hunky Dory soldier, JohnTyree... I thought he was irresistable in 'Step Up' ! Oopss, my boyfriend could be reading this, (Honey, I Love You!!) Not sure why this movie wasn't screened in Malaysia but thank goodness for DVD!

I can't really say I'm a fan of Nicholas Spark (Author who also wrote The Last Song - Miley Cyrus), although a friend made me watch 'The Notebook' starring Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams, which was also a major tear-jerker, 'Dear John' should've came with a Disclaimer! Watch at your Own Risk! Heartache and emotional disturbance!!
I should've known better what to expect from 'Dear John' !

Still.......

I gripped my pillow tight, and watch ... teary eyed....

It started all cute and sweet, playful Savannah Curtis meets hunky surfer dude, Special Forces, soldier boy on holiday, who jumped off a pier to help her retrieve her handbag... Boy meets and girl and they have a beer.... Honey, if you're reading this, you must be smiling...

Then, they spend the two weeks together holding hands, tussling in he's bedroom much to the shock of he's dad, going out for meals... watching the Full Moon.....




A small matter sets the two arguing one day, he walks off leaving an upset Savannah crying and 3 people injured. Next day he goes to look for her to apologize and finds her not there but her neighbour, Tim who offers to pass the message. 

He scribbles a note, 'I Love You ' on Tim's crumpled water bill....

She shows up later at he's house, and wrote him a note back.... 

He was leaving the next day called back to duty. She makes him promise to write her a letter everyday, promise to tell her everything... They part ways, She drives home, crying....



At this point, I really felt so sakit hati... all the scenes felt so strangely familiar...

I'm relieved that my Dear is not a soldier, means I'm spared of the anxiety and worry! But, the separation still makes me ache as I'm reminded of the times I drove him to the airport and saying Goodbye and the lonely drive home from KLIA most times in tears....

We also write little notes to each other and send parcels, the scene where they anticipate letters from one another made me smile and smile....





In this day and age, there's e-mails and Skype... but still nothing beats a hand written note which is so romantic, old-fashioned I know, who cares ?! I love it !!

So, story goes they write to each other for another year and suddenly one day, things are about to change on the day of Sept, 11.... With only 18 hours to spare he travels all the way back to Charleston just to see her. Oh, the joy of watching them reunite at the airport ! :) I cried again watching this scene !

He breaks the news to her, he's extending he's Mission. Another 2 years of separation. They ended the night making love; making the most in the little time he has left.

Few months later, frustration kicks in as John has not receive any letter from Savannah for the past 2 months.
One day, he receives a letter... She got engaged.... Nooooooo !
An angry John tips the whole carton of letters into a burning pit, devastated....

To avoid coming back to Charleston, our hero continues serving the army... and one day gets shot but still refuses to come home until one day he's been told, he's dad suffered a stroke....

He returns, in time to send he's father off, one last time... It has been seven years...

Then, he pops by to see Savannah at her ranch.... So they chat over coffee, he finds out she had married Tim, her neighbour! Turns out, Tim is dying of Lymphoma cancer and they were almost broke.

Emotions boiling intense, he loses it demanding "Why didn't you call ?? " "Why didn't you give me a chance to change your mind?? "
She breaks down screaming "Just hearing your voice, I would've changed my mind !"
He holds her, tells her it's ok...

Holding himself back, he leaves, She says "I'll see you soon.." He doesn't answer, "Say it back! " she pleaded, "Goodbye, Savannah" he turned and leaves... Tears rolling down her face...

He drives off, crying he's heart out as he'd made the decision to leave her again. Next day, he sells off he's dad entire antique Coins collection and donates all the money to Tim anonymously so that Tim can afford he's Medical treatment.

Story ends, Savannah writes him a letter mentioning the anonymous massive Donation and telling him, maybe they will meet again.... and they did, many years later, outside a Coffee Shop, he bends down to chain he's bicyle, looks up and see her sitting in the Coffee Shop, smiling........

-----------------------------------

I still couldn't get the ache off my chest, lying in bed, wide awake... I even brought the heartache to work this morning , even while typing this post! Another intense and beautiful story by Nicholas Sparks, beautifully delivered by Channing Tatum; I thought he couldn't act (kayu) ! Intense display of emotions and yes, I HATE AMANDA SEYFRIED ! :-(






3 comments:

~CovertOperations78~ said...

Whoaaah I won't be able to watch movies like that! When I watched "Million Dollar Baby" at the cinema, I cried so much I soaked my shirt and a whole stack of serviettes that says "Restoran Thai Kitchen" and "Subway" that I found in my backpack. Verry baadd. This movie would be a bit too close to real life for me too. I keep thinking about how happy I would be when he comes in July. I don't want to think of the day he goes home. That long lonely drive home from the airport, with his scent still lingering in my car. Cannot tahan... :'( Now I know just how you feel. Sigh! We are sisters in our pain too!

havetailwillwag said...

i loveeee old fashioned snail mail too babe

A Big Kid with an Old Soul... said...

Thanks so babessss!! Argh so much heartache! Wish my life had more of this romantic soppy shit ! :(

Ee Lynn!! *Hugs* I know what you mean... Then again, let's all leave our worries behind and have a ball of a time this July ! Sun, Beach, good company, cheeeaapps alcohol! Yeeehaaa! :D