Tuesday, May 11, 2010

English Odyssey: Horseworld Bristol Day 5

I was feeling a bit on the edge psyching myself up for the Riding lesson my boyfriend organized for me. It helped that the Horseworld Manager, Mr. Jerry Watkins is a good friend of my boyfriend back in he's RSPCA days, so it's a relief to know that they would not try to kill me!

I've never really encountered a Horse up close before but the fear of making a fool of myself like falling off a horse or worse, getting kicked was what I feared most ...

So we got to Bristol early around 8am and had McDonald's...


Crossing the bridge to Bristol...



HorseWorld is a charity that was established in 1952 specializing in rescuing, rehabilitating and rehoming horses, ponies and donkeys in need. The majority of animals come to HorseWorld after being abandoned, mistreated or neglected, as retired racehorses or because their owner can no longer care for them. This is hardly suprising as feeding a horse costs almost an arm and a leg! In the UK, you can buy a horse or pony roughly around  £ 500 (RM 2,750) for Ponies or up to £ 5000 (RM 27,500)  for a well-schooled Gelding or Mare. Monthly cost of feeding you will need to set aside £ 70 to £ 100 (RM 385 to RM 550) or more not inclusive of supplements!!! Parents, if your kid's asks you for a Pony for their Birthday, give your kid a smack and ask them to go clean their room! One should never give Pets as presents !!!

Horseworld has got two sections; one Visitor's Centre and the Animal Welfare Centre. We let ourselves in the Animal Welfare Centre and my boyfriend went to say Hi to everybody there and introduced me to Jerry. As the guys chatted, the girls fitted me with a suitable riding hat in case I fall off a horse and also helped me choose one that didn't make my head look like an "Egg Head" the girl Sarah joked which I couldn't quite make out she was genuinely joking or being sarcastic.

Jerry had to leave for a meeting in an hour's time but he was so kind enough to walk us inside to the fenced fields where all the horses in the centre are worked (ride) by Volunteers. Inside the field two girls were working with their horses or what they call warm up and Jerry called out to one of the girls, Sarah. Sarah and the beautiful, HUGE brown mare, trotted over and Jerry happily exclaimed to me "Here's your horse, she's a very good girl!" , I stared at my boyfriend then at Jeremy wailing "I thought you said I'm getting a Pony !!!" I was really scared now.

Getting up on the horse was not funny. I had to step on a crate and Jerry had to prop me up and he told me to heave myself with all my strength! I did it in one try thank God, and was thankful I didn't fall over the other side. I hung on for dear life and being suspended so high above ground didn't make me very happy...


Jerry instructing me how to hold the reins correctly


How to make the horse do a left turn or a right turn; Tug the reins slightly and the horse goes wherever you tug...





Trying to steer on my own....





When the horse cantered I was bobbing up and down like a Bob Head doll while my boyfriend and Jerry stood one side laughing ... so embarassing :(


Jerry must be so proud of me ; for not falling off the horse !!

Jerry had to make a move so we were left to entertain ourselves at the Centre. Sarah offered to teach me horse grooming in the stables but my boyfriend had other plans :)  We managed to wiggle in to the Horseworld Visitor's Centre for free! Wooohooo!!


Beware of Horse! Ggrrr!


Very interesting and Educational stuff catered more for children. Also, you can sit inside and watch a Video presentation on Horseworld's History and clips of he horses they rescued.

Fun facts for children; teaches kids what does a Horse/Pony needs


Drop a coin in and the machine neighs at you! Yeeee haa!






They weren't kidding; £ 683.50 = RM 3,579.25 !!


Told you it ain't cheap !



Staffs at Horseworld giving a Children's presentation. Donkeys and Ponies are trained using Clicker Method and positive reinforcement to perform simple tricks !


Apache (Black & White) Pony doing a little dance ...

Ferret Petting session: Note that the Ferret is constantly handled by the Staff at all times. Children are allowed to pet the ferrets under supervision. Sadly, in Malaysia Petting Zoos leave their animals unattended and being harrassed by the public. There is no Educational value but will only leave the animals very stressed, traumatized and possible transmission of disease.


Apart from Horses and Ponies, Horseworld also rescues Donkeys !


Kid's don't attempt to do this !!






We left Horseworld round late afternoon, did some Merchandise shopping at their Giftshop! Since we were in Bristol, we decided to go pay Bristol Cats and Dogs Home a visit!

Up next: Bristol Cats and Dogs Home (Animal Shelter)

No comments: