Thursday, January 6, 2011

Gardening Updates: New Blossoms for 2011

It was pretty nice to get the time to finally kick our front Porch into shape and organize the plants I had been collecting since January 2010... First we had a White Water Lily plant which was a fabulous plant that produced pretty blossoms everyday! Then I screwed it up by placing some floating water lettuce on the surfaced and now it's upset and has stopped producing flowers... I had always wanted to have a Guppy Pond and been putting it off for some time now but with the current Dengue-Campaigns we thought we'd better start the Guppy Pond before we get in trouble for breeding larvae!

So, a visit to the Fish Shop along MRR2 after work one day and ended up getting 10 beautiful Guppies and 2 button-cute pink Female bettas (Fighting fish) !
The tall flower plants are Snapdragons.. The varieties sold here are imported from Thailand according to the Plant nursery boss!

It was quite amazing to see how the plants responded to the Coffee Grounds Fertilizer and also their growth once you repot them into a slightly larger pot. Note difference within a month!

Our male Betta, Mr.Gloster is also adapting well to he's Thai-style Bachelor Suite !

My new weapon against Mealy Gnats or Springtails etc !!

Nothing is rosy daisy all the time, I opened up one of the Oncidium plant to repot it and what horror to find tons of white specks scuttling everywhere in the roots!! As the plant had stopped flowering for awhile now so my best guess is these little white buggers must be the culprit. A search on Google and found out it could be either Mealy Gnats (bad stuff) or Springtails, which were harmless.


I told my Dear I just wanted to pop in to the Sg. Buloh plant Nursery to get some Pots... and ended up buying this pair of Lilies! The Agapanthus had just finished flowering so I haggled it down to RM 8 !

Was also sharing Gardening tips with a Dear friend this morning! Apparently she adds the pulpy fiber from the vegetables & fruits after juicing to her plants as fertilizer and it works better than Coffee Grounds!! Whoa, gotta try that ! :)

1 comment:

~CovertOperations78~ said...

Haaa! Good job, Nic! What a lovely lot of plants! It's a good thing you're starting to get them organised, though I wished you had done so before Christmas so I could have checked them out then! You're a marvel -- I wonder how you find the time to do all this, what with your fulltime job, all that housekeeping and scores of animals to look after!